Fellowships Open Book Program
Maximum award amount
Period of performance
Expected notification date
Project start date
The Fellowships Open Book Program is a limited competition designed to make outstanding humanities books digitally available to a wide audience. By taking advantage of low-cost e-book technology, the program will allow teachers, students, scholars, and the public to read humanities books that can be downloaded or redistributed for no charge.
This program is open to publishers who have published within the last seven years (or will publish during the period of performance) a book supported by one of the following NEH programs:
- Awards for Faculty at Hispanic-Serving Institutions
- Awards for Faculty at Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- Awards for Faculty at Tribal Colleges and Universities
- Fellowships for Advanced Social Science Research on Japan
- Fellowships for College Teachers
- Fellowships for University Teachers
- NEH-Mellon Fellowships for Digital Publication
- Public Scholars
- Summer Stipends
- Dangers and Opportunities of Technology
- Digital Humanities Advancement Grants
- Digital Humanities Implementation Grants
- Digital Humanities Start-Up Grants
Each e-book will be released under a Creative Commons license, making those books free for anyone to download. The book could be a forthcoming title (to be open access upon first release) or it could be a book that was first released at any time during or after calendar year 2016.
This program utilizes a greatly streamlined application process and there are three proposal deadlines per year: March 15, 2023, July 14, 2023, and November 15, 2023.
New for 2023
- Inclusion of two additional grant programs: Dangers and Opportunities of Technology and Digital Humanities Advancement Grants
- Simplification of the payment process for awardees
- Reduction of the period of performance to twelve months
Not sure whether an author is an NEH award recipient? Search NEH’s Funded Projects Database.
Read the Notice of Funding Opportunity to ensure you understand the expectations and restrictions for projects delivered under this grant and are prepared to write the most effective application.
- Fellowships Open Book Program Notice of Funding Opportunity, 2023
- Fellowships Open Book Grants.gov application package
- Fellowships Open Book Program Frequently Asked Questions, 2023
- List of Recent Fellowship Open Book Program Awards
Sample Application Materials
Confirm that your SAM registration is current and verify your access to Grants.gov. If you have not already done so, you be required to create a Login.gov user account to register and log in to SAM and Grants.gov. Login.gov is a secure sign in service used by the public to sign in to participating government agencies. Create and link your account now.
Be sure to follow the instructions outlined in the notice of funding opportunity and in the Grants.gov instructions.
You will receive a confirmation from Grants.gov when you’ve successfully submitted your application. Subsequently, you will receive up to five more notices confirming different stages in the application process. Verify that you have received all confirmations. Note that email filters may send these messages to your spam or junk folder.