Institutes for K-12 Educators
Division of Education Programs
THE DEADLINE FOR THIS CYCLE HAS PASSED.
Updated guidelines will be posted in advance of the next deadline. In the meantime, please use these guidelines to get a sense of what is involved in assembling an application.
Maximum award amount
Period of performance
Application available (anticipated)
Next deadline (anticipated)
Expected notification date
Project start date
NEH-funded institutes are professional development programs that convene K-12 educators from across the nation to deepen their understanding of significant topics in the humanities and enrich their capacity for effective scholarship and teaching.
Live Q&A Session: Click here to participate in a live Q&A session at 12 p.m. Eastern Time on Thursday, December 8.
Or call in (audio only): +1 202-600-8430; Conference ID: 121 000 062#
Optional Draft Review: Submit a partial or full draft of your narrative as an attachment to @email by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on December 15, 2022, to receive feedback from program officers before the final deadline.
What’s New for 2023:
- Funding Levels: Level II funding has been eliminated from the Institutes program. All projects will have a 15-month period of performance, and no white paper will be required.
- Previously funded projects:
- must wait a year before reapplying
- must submit all participant evaluations without modifications (such as data cleaning or analysis charts)
- will be subject to existing project development review criteria
- Reserved Participant Spaces: Institutes for K-12 Educators must reserve 20% of available spaces for early career educators.
- Participant Eligibility:
Clarification regarding eligibility:
• U.S. citizens teaching abroad at U.S. chartered institutions, and faculty, librarians, and other personnel of schools operated by the Federal government are eligible to participate.
Clarifications regarding ineligibility:
• Individuals with an affiliation with the applicant institution (e.g., employees, currently enrolled students, etc.)
• Individuals who are delinquent in the repayment of federal debt (e.g., taxes, student loans, child support payments, and delinquent payroll taxes for household or other employees)
• Individuals who have been debarred or suspended by any Federal department or agency.
- Replacement Director(s): Replacement director(s) must be a co-director or project team member as appropriate, who is already familiar with the project.
- Narrative length has been shortened to 10 pages.
- Resumes for key personnel have been shortened to 2 pages per project team member.
- Calendar of NEH-required dates included to assist with work plan design.
Begin by reading the Notice of Funding Opportunity, below. You want to ensure you understand all the expectations and restrictions for projects delivered under this program and are prepared to write the most effective application.
Institutes for K-12 Educators Notice of Funding Opportunity, 2023
Institutes for K-12 Educators Grants.gov application package
Institutes for K-12 Educators Frequently Asked Questions, 2023
Past and Upcoming Professional Development Programs
Institutes for K-12 Educators Awards, 2019-2022
Sample Application Narratives
Institutes for K-12 Educators - Courting Liberty: Slavery and Equality Under the Constitution, 1770-1870
Institutes for K-12 Educators - Perspectives on World War II in the Pacific Theater
Confirm that your SAM registration is current and verify your access to Grants.gov. If you have not already done so, you be required to create a Login.gov user account to register and log in to SAM and Grants.gov. Login.gov is a secure sign in service used by the public to sign in to participating government agencies. Create and link your account now.
Follow the instructions outlined in the Notice of Funding Opportunity and the Grants.gov instructions.
You will receive a confirmation from Grants.gov when you’ve successfully submitted your application. Subsequently, you will receive up to five more notices confirming different stages in the application process. Verify that you have received all confirmations. Note that email filters may send these messages to your spam or junk folder.