Division of Education Programs
THE DEADLINE FOR THIS CYCLE HAS PASSED.
Updated guidelines will be posted in advance of the next deadline. In the meantime, please use these guidelines to get a sense of what is involved in assembling an application.
Maximum award amount
Period of performance
Application available (anticipated)
Next deadline (anticipated)
Expected notification date
Project start date
The Humanities Connections program seeks to expand the role of the humanities in undergraduate education at two- and four-year institutions. Awards support innovative curricular approaches that foster partnerships among humanities faculty and their counterparts in the social and natural sciences and in pre-service or professional programs (such as business, engineering, health sciences, law, computer science, and other technology-driven fields), in order to encourage and develop new integrative learning opportunities for students.
Humanities Connections projects must include:
- substantive and purposeful integration of the subject matter, perspectives, and pedagogical approaches of two or more disciplines (with a minimum of one in and one outside of the humanities)
- collaboration between faculty from two or more departments or schools at one or more institutions
- experiential learning as an intrinsic part of the proposed curriculum
- long-term institutional support for the proposed curriculum innovation(s)
Competitive applications will demonstrate:
- that the proposed curricular project expands the role of the humanities in addressing significant and compelling topics or issues in undergraduate education at the applicant institution(s)
- that these projects develop the intellectual skills and habits of mind cultivated by the study of the humanities
- that faculty and students will benefit from meaningful collaborations in teaching and learning across disciplines as a result of the project
The Humanities Connections program includes two funding levels: Planning and Implementation.
The recorded webinar below provides examples and explanation in support of the Notice of Funding Opportunity guidelines for the 2022 funding cycle.
A pre-recorded webinar providing examples and explanation in support of the Notice of Funding Opportunity guidelines for the 2022 funding cycle will be posted by June 13. A virtual Q&A is scheduled for 1:00 pm Eastern on July 7, 2022. Click here to join.
Read the Notice of Funding Opportunity to ensure you understand the expectations and restrictions for projects delivered under this notice and are prepared to write the most effective application.
Humanities Connections Notice of Funding Opportunity, 2022 (PDF)
Humanities Connections Grants.gov application package
Humanities Connections Frequently Asked Questions, 2022 (PDF)
Humanities Connections recently funded projects (Planning)
Humanities Connections recently funded projects (Implementation)
Sample Application Narratives
Virginia Tech, Developing a Humanities-Focused Food Studies Minor
Juniata College, Humanities Explorations of Rural Poverty and Place
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Designing a Humanistic Computing Curriculum
Nevada State College, Intercultural Competency Concentration
St. John Fisher College, Rochester: Mapping Place, Space, and Identity
Auburn University, Building Lasting Bridges: German and Engineering
Fashion Institute of Technology, Teaching Business and Labor History to Art and Design Students
Georgetown University, Implementing a Collaborative Medical Humanities Minor
Confirm that your SAM registration is current and verify your access to Grants.gov. If you have not already done so, you must create a Login.gov user account to register and log in to SAM and Grants.gov. Login.gov is a secure sign in service used by the public to sign in to participating government agencies. Create and link your account now.
Follow the instructions outlined in the Notice of Funding Opportunity and in the Grants.gov instructions.
You will receive a confirmation from Grants.gov when you’ve successfully submitted your application. Subsequently, you will receive up to five more notices confirming different stages in the application process. Verify that you have received all confirmations. Note that email filters may send these messages to your spam or junk folder.