Division of Research Programs
Maximum award amount
Period of performance
Expected notification date
Project start date
The National Endowment for the Humanities’ Summer Stipends program aims to stimulate new research in the humanities and its publication. The program works to accomplish this goal by:
- Providing small awards to individuals pursuing advanced research that is of value to humanities scholars, general audiences, or both
- Supporting projects at any stage of development, but especially early-stage research and late-stage writing in which small awards are most effective
- Funding a wide range of individuals, including independent scholars, community college faculty, and non-teaching staff at universities
Summer Stipends support continuous full-time work on a humanities project for a period of two consecutive months. NEH funds may support recipients’ compensation, travel, and other costs related to the proposed scholarly research.
What’s new for 2022 and 2023
- A new one-page attachment indicating your plan of work is required
- The program will offer exemption from nomination for faculty at Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institutions (AANAPISIs), Alaska Native and Native Hawaiian Serving Institutions (ANNHIs), Native American-Serving Non-Tribal Institutions (NASNTIs), and Predominantly Black Institutions (PBIs).
Get More Information
On May 18, 2022 NEH staff hosted a webinar describing the application and nomination processes and general tips for writing the application. You can view that recording, including the question-and-answer session here.
A webinar focused on application writing strategies was presented on August 17, 2022. You can view the recorded webinar here.
Read the notice of funding opportunity to ensure you understand all the expectations and restrictions for projects delivered under this grant and are prepared to write the most effective application.
Summer Stipends Notice of Funding Opportunity, 2022-2023 (PDF)
Summer Stipends Grants.gov application package
Summer Stipend awards, 2019-2021
Sample Application Narratives
American History Summer Stipends Sample Application (PDF)
American Literature Summer Stipends Sample Application (PDF)
Art History Summer Stipends Sample Application (PDF)
Latin American Studies Summer Stipends Sample Application (PDF)
Philosophy Summer Stipends Sample Application (PDF)
Social Sciences Summer Stipend Sample Application (PDF)
As soon as you are ready to apply to this program, register for a Grants.gov account. If you already have registered for an account, make sure it is current.
Follow the instructions outlined in the Notice of Funding Opportunity and Grants.gov.
You will receive a confirmation from Grants.gov when you've successfully submitted your application.
After you submit your application, Grants.gov will send you up to five e-mail messages confirming receipt of your application. These messages represent different stages in the application acceptance process. You should verify that you have received all confirmation messages. Please note that email filters may send these messages to your spam or junk folder.
You will be notified by e-mail when each of your letters of reference has been received. After you have received the Grants.gov Agency Tracking Number Assignment message, you may check the status of your letters of reference by logging in to the secure area of NEH’s website. Enter your NEH application number and your Grants.gov tracking number. You will be able to see the names and e-mail addresses of your letter writers and whether their letters of reference have arrived. If necessary, you may send reminders to your letter writers (including the upload link) from this site.