HUMANITIES, November/December 2010, Volume 31, Number 6
Courtesy Pennsylvania Trolley Museum
Low platforms helped passengers in getting on and off streetcars and resulted in decreased running times and fewer accidents. Pittsburgh Railways streetcar 4398, pictured, was constructed in 1917 by the St. Louis Car Company. Streetcars such as this one remained in service until the early 1950s. The Pennsylvania Trolley Museum in Washington—about twenty miles south of the City of Bridges—received $4,800 from NEH for preservation supplies for the proper storage of photo negatives, prints, and slides from the museum’s archives of electric railway material.