NEH-NSF Documenting Endangered Languages Fellowships Acceptance Instructions and Form
You must accept or decline the offer of a 2018-2019 NEH-NSF Documenting Endangered Languages (DEL) Fellowships award no later than May 15. To accept the award, please complete, print, manually sign, and return the acceptance form to the NEH Fellowships Program by either scanning and e-mailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing it to (202) 606-8204 by this deadline.
Instructions for Completing the Acceptance Form
The acceptance form is used to accept a DEL fellowship offer and to indicate the exact dates of your fellowship term. You should retain a copy of the completed form for your records and notify the program whenever you make modifications to the arrangements agreed to by NEH. The acceptance form must include the following information:
1. Application Number: Your application number, a combination of a two-letter prefix (FN) plus six digits, can be found on your offer letter.
3. Social Security Number
4. Mailing Address, Home and Office Phone Numbers, and E-Mail Address
5. Documenting Endangered Language Fellowship Term Dates: You may begin your term on the first day of any month during the 16-month window from June 2018 through September 2019. (The term dates you provide on the acceptance form may differ from the dates you originally indicated in your application.) Your award term may be continuous or divided:
Continuous term: You may choose a continuous term if you plan to begin and end your award period without interruption. A continuous full-time term must be devoted to full-time work on the project and may not include a teaching assignment or any other major activity.
Divided term: If the continuous-term option does not suit the demands of your schedule, you may choose to divide your term into two separate periods of work. Each active period of a divided term must be at least 3 months in duration and must be devoted to full-time work on the project. You may not teach or undertake any other major activity during these active periods. Note: You must complete your fellowship term within two years of your initial month.
Example: You could design a DEL fellowship term for 12 full-time months over the course of 18 months from July 2018 through December 2019 as follows:
–July 2018 through December 2018, active. Total time on your DEL fellowship project: 6 months full-time
–January 2019 through June 2019, inactive. Total time on your DEL fellowship project: 0 months
–July 2019 through December 2019, active. Total time on your DEL fellowship project: 6 months full-time
This term is equivalent to 12 full-time months.
► DEL Fellowship Grant Amount: The final amount of the stipend is based on the number of active months of your term. For each active month of your term, NEH provides $4,200. Thus, a fellowship for 12 active months carries a stipend of $50,400 ($4,200 x 12 months).
For a continuous term, indicate the month and year in which you will begin your fellowship term and the month and year in which you will end your term. Please note that your term must begin on the first day of your chosen first month and end on the last day of your chosen final month.
For a divided term, indicate the periods of activity and inactivity. Please note that each segment of your term must begin on the first day of your chosen first month and end on the last day of your chosen final month for that segment.
6. How would you like the stipend paid? All payments are made electronically by the U.S. Treasury Department and can be deposited either in your bank account or in your employing institution’s bank. (Note that payments cannot be sent to foreign addresses or deposited in non-U.S. banks.) Please indicate on the acceptance form the payment option you prefer. Please choose only one.
DEL fellowships are paid in installments and prorated according to the term length. Typically, the first payment is made at the beginning of the term period and subsequent payments are made every third month through the fellowship term. The payment schedule and amounts for your particular award will be provided with the letter officially making the award.
Benefit Coverage: Some institutions are willing to continue paying healthcare and other benefits if grant payments are made through them. Please consult with your institution about this option.
Unspent Award Funds: If payment is made through your institution, institutions are authorized to return any unspent award funds to the fellowship recipient at the end of the award period to cover additional costs not administered through the institution.
BANK ACCOUNT INFORMATION: The acceptance form does NOT request banking information for direct deposit of your award payments. Once NEH receives your completed and signed acceptance form, you will be sent two official award documents by e-mail: an award letter and a payment schedule (called a Notice of Action). The latter includes instructions for submitting your banking information to NEH.
7. Do you need your first payment early? You may receive your first payment 30 days before your term begins if, for example, you anticipate major travel expenses early in your term. However, no payment can be made before June 1, 2018.
8. Do you need a larger first payment? If you have particularly high initial expenses, you may receive a larger first payment to cover them.
9. Acceptance and Certification: You must accept or decline the offer of a 2018-2019 NEH-NSF Documenting Endangered Languages Fellowship no later than May 15. To accept the award, please complete, sign, and return the acceptance form to the NEH Fellowships Program by either scanning and e-mailing it to email@example.com or faxing it to (202) 606-8204 by this deadline.