On your start date, please bring with you a valid photo-ID and present it to the security guard on duty. Inform them that you are here for employee orientation and they will contact the Office of Human Resources on your behalf. Upon receiving verification by the Office of Human Resources, the security guard will allow you to proceed to the Human Resources department in order to begin your employee orientation.
When you arrive at NEH for orientation, bring two forms of identification (See “List of Acceptable Documents” attached to Form I-9).
IT Computer Security
After completing your orientation in the Office of Human Resources, you will be escorted to the Office of Information Resources Management (OIRM) for a Computer Security Briefing and instructions on logging on to your computer at NEH for the first time.
Oath of Office
Federal civil servants must take an Oath of Office in which they swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America. The Constitution not only establishes our system of government, it defines the work role of Federal employees—
“to establish Justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty.”
Picking Up Your ID Badge
In order to receive your ID Badge, you must bring two forms of identification. The types of forms required are described above.
This section provides access to all the personnel forms that must be completed prior to starting employment at NEH.
All forms can be completed on-line using Acrobat Software. To download Adobe Acrobat, please visit: http://get.adobe.com/reader/ 
Mandatory Forms – BRING ON FIRST DAY
Please click on each of the links provided below to complete all of your personnel forms.
The following documents must be completed prior to entry on duty:
- Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) (PDF) 
- Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9) (PDF) 
- Direct Deposit Form (PDF) 
- Emergency Contact Information (PDF) 
- Statement of Prior Federal Service (SF-144) (PDF) 
- Race and National Origin ID (SF-181) (PDF) 
- Self-Identification of Handicap (SF-256) (PDF) 
- Designation of Beneficiary—Unpaid Compensation (SF-1152) (PDF) 
- Form W-4 Federal Employee’s Allowance Certificate (PDF) 
- Washington DC Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate (D-4 Form) (PDF) 
- Employees Maryland Withholding Exemptions Certificate (MW 507) (PDF) 
- Commonwealth of Virginia Tax Form (VA-4) (PDF) 
BENEFITS ELIGIBLE ONLY
- Health Benefits Registration Form (SF-2809) (PDF) 
- FEGLI Group Life Insurance Election Form (SF-2817) (PDF) 
- FEGLI Group Life Insurance Designation of Beneficiary Form (SF-2823) (PDF) 
- Designation of Beneficiary—Federal Employees Retirement System (SF-3102) (PDF) 
- Thrift Savings Plan—Election Form (TSP-1) (PDF) 
- Thrift Savings Plan—Designation of Beneficiary (TSP-3) (PDF) 
Complete, print, sign, and date each of these forms before you arrive for your first day of work. Most of these forms may be completed online. However, you may still print the forms and complete them manually.
Printing Your Forms
Print the documents as you complete each one so data is not lost. When printing the documents, be sure to select the “fit to page“ option in the print properties box.
Should you have any questions about completing the forms, please contact the NEH Office of Human Resources at (202) 606-8415 and request to speak to the Human Resources Specialist who sent you the offer letter.