NEH Public Scholar Program Award Acceptance Instructions and Form
You must accept or decline the offer of a 2018-2019 NEH Public Scholar Award no later than August 31, 2018. To accept the award, please complete, print, manually sign, and return the acceptance form to the NEH Public Scholar Program by either scanning and e-mailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxing it to (202) 606-8204 by this deadline.
Instructions for Completing the Acceptance Form
Use the acceptance form to accept an NEH Public Scholar Program award and to indicate the exact dates of your award term. You should retain a copy of the completed form for your records and notify the Public Scholar Program whenever you make modifications to the arrangements agreed to by NEH. The acceptance form must include the following information:
1. Application Number: Your application number, a combination of the prefix FZ plus six digits, can be found on your offer letter.
3. Social Security Number
4. Mailing Address, Home, Office, and Cell Phone Numbers, and E-Mail Address
5. Period of Performance (also known as “Project Period” or “Term”) Dates: You may start your Public Scholar period of performance any month during the thirteen-month window from September 1, 2018 through September 1, 2019. Your period of performance must begin on the first day of your chosen initial month and end on the last day of your chosen final month. Remember that you must complete your Public Scholar Award term within twelve months of the initial month you choose.
Your Public Scholar period of performance must be continuous. You may hold the award full-time, part-time, or a combination of the two. Part-time is defined as a commitment to the project anywhere between half-time and full-time. You must work at least half-time on your project for the entire period of performance.
NEH bases the final amount of the award on the number of full-time equivalent months of your period of performance. For each month, NEH provides $5,000. Thus, a full-time Public Scholar award term for twelve months carries a stipend of $60,000 ($5,000 x 12), a half-time term for twelve months carries a stipend of $30,000 ($2,500 x 12), and a three-quarter-time term for twelve months carries a stipend of $45,000 ($3,750 x 12).
The dates you indicate on the acceptance form may differ from the dates you originally requested in your application, although you may not indicate a period of performance that would result in a higher dollar value than that of your original request. (You may decrease the dollar value of your term.) Please be certain of the dates you enter on the acceptance form to avoid changes later. The period of performance dates and time commitment you indicate on your acceptance form are subject to approval by the Public Scholar Program staff.
Example: You could combine half-time and full-time work to design a Public Scholar period of performance covering twelve months from September 1, 2018 through August 31, 2019:
--September 1, 2018 through December 31, 2018, full-time. Total time on your project: 4 months @ 1.0 commitment = 4 months full-time equivalent.
--January 1, 2019 through May 31, 2019, teaching half-time. Total time on your NEH project: 5 months @ .5 commitment = 2.5 months full-time equivalent.
--June 1, 2019 through August 31, 2019, full-time. Total time on NEH project: 3 months @ 1.0 commitment = 3 months full-time equivalent.
This scenario, combining half- and full-time work and covering the maximum allowable period of twelve months, is equivalent to 9.5 full-time months (4 + 2.5 + 3 = 9.5). The award amount would be $47,500 ($5,000 x 9.5).
The acceptance form includes a worksheet for plotting your period of performance. Be sure to account for the entire term you have selected. You should list periods chronologically. NEH will use this information to establish a payment schedule for your entire period of performance, so accuracy is important.
6. How would you like the stipend paid? NEH makes all payments electronically through Automated Clearing House (ACH). Funds can be deposited either in your bank account or in your employing institution’s bank. Please indicate on the acceptance form the payment option you prefer. Please choose only one.
NEH will pay you in installments, prorating according to the term length. Typically, NEH makes the first payment at the beginning of the period of performance and subsequent payments every third month through the project period. NEH will provide the payment schedule and amounts for your particular award with the letter officially making the award.
Benefit Coverage: Some institutions are willing to continue paying healthcare and other benefits if you elect to receive your NEH payments through the institution. Please consult with your institution about this option.
BANK ACCOUNT INFORMATION: The acceptance form does NOT request banking information for direct deposit of your award payments. Once NEH receives your completed and signed acceptance form, we will send you two official award documents by e-mail: an award letter and a payment schedule (called a Notice of Action). The latter includes instructions for submitting your banking information to NEH.
7. Do you need your first payment early? You may receive your first payment up to 30 days before your term begins if, for example, you anticipate major travel expenses early in your term. However, NEH cannot make the first payment in this program before September 1, 2018.
8. Do you need a larger first payment? If you have particularly high initial expenses, you may receive a larger first payment to cover them.
9. Acceptance and Certification: You must accept or decline the offer of a 2018-2019 NEH Public Scholar Award no later than August 31, 2018. To accept the award, please complete, sign, and return the acceptance form to the NEH Public Scholar Program by either scanning and e-mailing it to email@example.com or faxing it to (202) 606-8204 by this deadline.