The Office of Congressional Affairs serves as the Endowment’s liaison with Members of Congress and their staffs in D.C., state, and district offices. Its mission is to articulate how federal funding appropriated through Congress to NEH impacts constituents in every state, Congressional district, and territory of the United States of America.
- We work with both the House and Senate Appropriations Committees to enhance their awareness of how our programs directly affect American citizens.
- We work with Congressional offices through local workshops to enhance awareness among their constituents about NEH grant programs and about how individuals and organizations, schools and cultural institutions can apply for NEH grants.
- We help Congressional staff assist constituents who contact them with questions about navigating the grant application process.
- We inform Congressional offices of grants that have been awarded to their constituents and highlight how constituents impact their community with NEH funds.
- We inform Congressional offices of NEH-funded library programs, museum exhibitions, documentary films, scholarly research, and educational initiatives and opportunities happening in their districts.
- We host workshops and webinars for Congressional staff to enhance awareness about specific NEH programs and how they affect specific constituencies, such as teachers, veterans, youth, etc.
We work directly with the members and staffs of:
- The House Appropriations Committee
- The Senate Appropriations Committee
- The House Appropriations Subcommittees on the Interior, Environment, and Other Related Agencies
- The Senate Appropriations Subcommittees on the Interior, Environment, and Other Related Agencies
- The House’s Education and Workforce Committee’s Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Training
- The Senate’s Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP).